- 1-2 Large Eggplants, sliced thin…about 1/8 inch “sautee” in low sodium or
homemade vegie broth to soften enough to roll
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- garlic (I like lots) finely chopped
- 2c chopped mushrooms (I usually use white or criminis for this recipe) “sauté” onions, garlic and mushrooms, like above.
- 10-12 oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to get out water (I often will put it into a frying pan after sautéing the onion, mushrooms and gartlic to both dry out the spinach and pick up the flavor of the mixture from the pan)
Mix onion and mushroom mixture with spinach and spices: I use basil (fresh, if possible, and fresh black pepper.)
You could use this mixture as is with a little gluten-free flour to keep it together (2 T), if you’re trying to be really good or, you can add a little tofu for protein and a little Tofutti fake cream cheese for a creamier texture. If you do, make this and refrigerate, preferable overnight before putting the “cannolis” together.
Fill the softened eggplant slice with enough of the mixture to be plump but not overfull. Arrange seam side down on lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with marinara or Arrabiata (my favorite) sauce. You can use a little fake parmesean over the top if you like. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until they look done! (I’m so precise with my cooking!)
Serve with big salad. They keep really well for a few days and can be frozen and used later, just fine. I hope you enjoy!